Makes approx. 2 cups (Serves 6-8)
500ml (2 cups) milk
4 egg yolks
110g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Whisk egg yolks, sugar, salt and vanilla until thick and pale in colour.
2. Bring milk to a boil in a saucepan, then pour gradually onto the egg mixture, whisking continuously.
3. Pour mixture back into the saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring all the time with a wooden spoon in an figure-8 direction. Do not allow the custard to boil.
4. Cook until the sauce thickens and coats the back of the wooden spoon, about 6-10 minutes. Test by running a finger over the custard on the back of the wooden spoon, the custard should not spread back onto where you run your finger over. Strain custard through a sieve if desired, but not really necessary.
5. Serve hot or cold with cakes or puddings. If cooling the custard, stir it occasionally until cold, then keep in the refrigerator.
Taste: Light vanilla custard
Consume: Best within 2 to 3 days
Storage: Store in covered container in the refrigerator
Recipe Reference(s): –