Three years ago, I posted a Banana Chiffon Cake recipe that is baked in a round cake tin. This time I’m sharing a version that is baked in the traditonal chiffon tube pan.
Makes one large tube cake (large angel-food tube pan with base measurement of 21cm across the base and 24cm across the top)
4 egg yolks
30g caster sugar
70ml canola oil
160g mashed banana, mixed with
1 teaspoon lemon juice
110g cake flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
7 egg whites
1/8 teaspoon salt
70g caster sugar
1. Preheat oven to 160°C. Have a 24cm angel-food-cake tube pan ready, and do not grease or line the pan. Sift together flour and baking powder three times; set aside.
2. Beat egg yolks and 30g sugar with a balloon whisk until combined, add oil, milk and mashed banana; beat well to combine. Sift flour mixture in a few batches over the mixture and whisk lightly to combine.
3. Whisk egg whites and salt until soft peaks formed. Gradually add 70g sugar, spoonful by spoonful, and continue beating. Beat until the meringue is glossy and thick and just reach the stiff peaks stage.
4. Fold 1/3 of the meringue into the yolk mixture. When well mixed, fold in the next 1/3 of the meringue until combined. Repeat with the remaining meringue until thoroughly combined.
5. Pour into the angel-food-cake tube pan. Give the pan a light tap on the kitchen bench to get rid of any large bubbles in the batter.
7. Bake for about 50-55 minutes, or until cooked. Remove from oven and tap the pan again. Immediately turn the pan upside-down (use cups or drinking glasses to elevate the pan if necessary) and let cool completely this way.
8. When the cake is cold, remove cake from the pan, slice and serve.
Taste: Airy soft, light and tender cake
Consume: Best within 2-3 days
Storage: Cover and chill in the refrigerator
Recipe Reference(s): ‘香蕉新樂園’ recipe by 曾美子