Makes 15 slices
125g butter, softened
60g caster sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
185g plain flour, sifted
1 teaspoon baking powder, sifted
170g (1/2 cup) raspberry jam, warmed
125g (1 cup) sultana
Rum Coconut Filling:
125g butter, softened
90g caster sugar
1 teaspoon rum essence
90g (1 cup) desiccated coconut
60g plain flour, sifted
250g cream cheese, softened
100g (2/3 cup) pure icing sugar, sifted
1. Preheat oven to 200°C. Grease a 3cm-deep x 30cm x 20cm lamington or slice tin. Line base and two long sides with baking paper, extending paper 5cm over the two long sides.
2. For the Base: Cream softened butter and sugar until pale in colour. Beat in egg and vanilla. Fold in flour and baking powder which has been sifted together. Transfer mixture to the prepared tin. Lay a piece of baking paper on top of mixture and press down to evenly compact with your hands or a small rolling pin (pic #1); the paper will prevent the dough mixture from sticking to your hands or the rolling pin. Remove the paper and bake at 200°C for about 15 minutes, or until light golden brown (pic #2). Remove from oven and turn oven temperature down to 180°C.
3. For the Filling: Cream softened butter and sugar until pale in colour. Beat in eggs and rum essence. Fold in flour and desiccated coconut.
4. Spread warmed raspberry jam evenly over the surface of the base. Sprinkle the sultanas evenly over the jam (pic #3).
5. Dollop large spoonful of the coconut filling evenly over the jam and sultanas. Then carefully press down with the back of a spoon into an even layer (pic #4).
6. Bake at 180°C for about 25 minutes, or until golden brown (pic #5). Remove from oven and let cool in tin.
7. For the Topping: Beat softened cream cheese and icing sugar until smooth and creamy.
8. When the cooked filling is cold, spread the cream cheese topping evenly over the filling (pic #6). Remove from tin and cut into 6cm-square slices for serving.
Taste: Delicious coconut slice with a heavenly rum fragrance and cream cheese topping
Consume: Best within 4-5 days
Storage: Store in airtight container in the refrigerator
Recipe Reference(s): Adapted from various Raspberry Coconut Slice recipes