Bought a box of frozen cranberries end of last year intending to use it for Christmas but ended up not using it after all. So it has been sitting in my freezer all this time. Finally decided to use it up and was going to bake the Blueberry Muffins but substitute with cranberries instead. As it was, I decided it was too simple just to do the substitution, and changed the recipe slightly by adding an extra egg and cocoa to the recipe. Wow, not bad at all, they tasted fantastic!
Makes 12 muffins
250g self-raising flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon bicarb. of soda (baking soda)
20g cocoa powder
170g caster sugar
115g (1 cup) frozen cranberries
2 eggs, lightly beaten
125ml (1/2 cup) milk
125ml (1/2 cup) canola oil
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a 12-hole muffin tin (each muffin cup measures 7cm across the top x 3cm deep) with paper cases.
2. Sift self-raising flour, salt, soda, cocoa powder and sugar together into a large mixing bowl. Add frozen cranberries and toss through to coat the cranberries with the flour mixture.
3. Combine lightly beaten eggs, milk and oil, then pour into the flour mixture.
4. Lightly and quickly fold together until the mixture is just combined, or until no dry flour mixture is visible. Do not over mix the batter.
5. Spoon batter evenly into the prepared muffin cups.
6. Bake for about 25 minutes. Serve hot or warm.
Taste: Light, soft and sweet muffins with a sour note from the cranberries
Consume: Best served warm, but equally good at room temperature
Storage: Store in airtight container; best in the refrigerator in hot weather, reheat in the oven or microwave before serving
Recipe Reference(s): –