Makes 8 buns
1/2 portion Japanese-Style Savoury Roll Dough
1 egg, lightly beaten for eggwash
Japanese Curry Filling:
1 tablespoon canola oil
30g chopped onion
100g minced pork
30g frozen mixed vegetables
25g Japanese curry sauce mix (1/4 of a 100g-box; mild or hot depends on your taste)
125ml (1/2 cup) water
25g potato starch, dissolved in 1 tablespoon water
1. To prepare the Filling: Heat a wok, add canola oil and sauté chopped onion until translucent and fragrant. Add minced pork and stir-fry briefly until colour changes. Add frozen vegetables, curry sauce mix and water; stir until the solid curry sauce dissolves. Simmer for 1 to 2 minutes over low heat. Add dissolved starch and stir until the sauce thickens to a thick paste. Remove to a plate and let cool. When it is cold, cover and chill in the refrigerator until ready to be used.
2. Prepare the Japanese-Style Savoury Roll Dough as directed up to step 3.
3. Take one of the 8 small divided balls and roll out with a rolling pin into a flat circle; with edges thinner than the centre. Place about 25g of the curry filling in the centre of dough circle.
4. Gather the outer edges of the dough circle and wrap up the filling. Pinch the edges together to seal in the filling. Place sealed side down on a lined or lightly greased baking tray. Repeat with the other 7 dough balls.
5. Let rise, lightly covered, until double in size. When ready, eggwash the top of each risen dough pieces. Use a kitchen scissor to cut a cross on top of each bun; the cuts must reach through to the filling inside.
6. Bake in preheated 190°C oven for about 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown.
Taste: Soft, fluffy and light savoury curry buns
Consume: Best served warm
Storage: Can be kept for 1 to 2 days in airtight container in the refrigerator, reheat in the oven or microwave before serving
Recipe Reference(s): ‘咖哩麵包’ recipe from the cookbook ’65°C湯種麵包’ by 陳郁芬