These are fun little mushrooms to make when you have extra egg whites.
Makes approx. 15-20 mushrooms, depending on size
2 egg whites
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
110g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
Melted dark or milk chocolate, for assembly
1. Preheat oven to 110°C (225°F). Line baking sheet with baking paper.
2. Beat egg whites and salt until foamy. Add vanilla and beat in.
3. Add sugar gradually, spoonful by spoonful, and continue to beat until the mixture is thick, glossy and forms stiff peaks.
4. Dab a little of the meringue mixture onto the four corners of the baking sheet to stick the baking paper onto the tray.
5. Spoon the remaining meringue mixture into a large piping bag fitted with a 1cm round nozzle. Pipe out equal quantity of button shapes for the mushroom caps, and little blobs for the mushroom stalks.
6. With wet finger, smooth out any pointy ends by pressing down lightly.
7. Bake for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until crisp and dry. Remove, let cool and store in airtight container until ready to assemble.
8. To assemble, spread the flat side of the mushroom caps with melted chocolate and attach the stalks. Serve with coffee anytime, or use to decorate Yule Log.
Taste: Sweet, crisp meringue with a little chocolate
Consume: Best within 1 week
Storage: Store in airtight container
Recipe Reference: –