Makes one 21cm round cake
5 egg yolks
30g caster sugar
65ml canola oil
35ml milk or water
150g mashed over-ripe banana, from about 2 medium-size bananas
1 teaspoon lemon juice
D (sifted three times together):
110g cake flour
10g corn starch
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
5 egg whites
80g caster sugar
1. Preheat oven to 170°C. Prepare a 21cm round springform cake pan but do not grease or line the pan.
2. Mix mashed banana with lemon juice and set aside.
3. Whisk egg yolks and 30g sugar until pale and creamy, add oil and milk, beat well to combine. Mix in mashed banana. Gradually sift in the flour mixture in a few small batches and fold in. Set aside.
4. Whisk egg whites until foamy. Gradually add 80g sugar, spoonful by spoonful, until soft peaks form.
5. Scoop 1/3 of the meringue into the banana mixture and fold in with a metal spoon. When combined, fold in the next 1/3 of the meringue. Repeat with the remaining meringue until thoroughly combined.
6. Pour into the cake pan. Give the pan a light tap on the kitchen bench to get rid of any large bubbles in the batter.
7. Bake for about 40 minutes, or until cooked. Remove from oven and tap the pan again. Immediately turn the pan upside-down (use cups or drinking glasses to elevate the pan) and let cool completely this way.
8. When the cake is cold, remove from the pan. Cut and serve.
Texture: Airy, light and soft
Consume: Best within 2-3 days
Storage: Covered & chilled in the refrigerator
Recipe Reference: ‘香蕉戚風蛋糕’ from the Chinese cookbook ‘家庭烘焙入門’ by 吳金燕