Makes one 21cm round cake
5 egg yolks
50g caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla paste/extract
6 egg whites
1/8 teaspoon salt
100g caster sugar
100g cake flour, sifted three times
35ml canola oil
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Prepare a 21cm round springform cake pan but do not grease or line the pan.
2. Whisk egg yolks and 50g sugar until pale and creamy, add vanilla and beat well to combine. Set aside.
3. Whisk egg whites and salt until foamy. Gradually add 100g sugar, spoonful by spoonful, until stiff peaks form.
4. Scoop 1/3 of the meringue into the egg yolk mixture and fold in with a metal spoon. When combined, fold in the next 1/3 of the meringue. Repeat with the remaining meringue until thoroughly combined.
5. Sift just enough flour to cover the surface of the egg mixture and fold in with a metal spoon. Repeat until all flour is folded in.
6. Add oil and milk and fold in to combine.
7. Pour into the cake pan. Give the pan a light tap on the kitchen bench to get rid of any large bubbles in the batter.
8. Bake for about 35 minutes, or until cooked. Remove from oven and tap the pan again. Immediately turn the pan upside-down (use cups or drinking glasses to elevate the pan) and let cool completely this way.
9. When the cake is cold, remove from the pan.
10. This cake can be served without filling or icing, but it is also good filled and iced with your favourite filling or icing.
Texture: Airy, light and moist
Consume: Within 2-3 days
Storage: Covered & chilled in the refrigerator
Recipe Reference: ‘法式海綿蛋糕’ recipe from 台灣中華穀類食品工業技術研究所, originally posted in Chinese at Ｌｉｆｅ & Ｃｏｏｋ