Continuing with my delights of using the firm paper moulds I bought late last year, I am making more sweet buns! This time using the long moulds (base dimensions of 14cm long × 5cm wide) to make these delicious cream cheese and blueberry flavoured bun rolls.
Makes 8 rolls
Cream Cheese Topping:
75g cream cheese, softened
35g butter, softened
60g icing sugar
35g cake flour
15g caster sugar
25g chilled butter
1. Prepare the Cream Cheese Topping: Mix cream cheese, butter and sugar together. Put mixture into a piping bag fixed with a 5mm plain nozzle.
2. Prepare the Crumble Topping: Mix flour and sugar, rub into butter to resemble fine breadcrumbs; set aside.
3. Prepare the Sweet Bun Dough (either water-roux version or scalded-flour version) as directed up to step 3.
4. Take one of the 8 small divided balls and roll out with a rolling pin into a flat oval shape. Then roll up like a Swiss roll into a cigar shape. Use your palms and roll the cigar back and forth on the bench to elongate it into a long roll about 14cm long. Place the roll into a 14cm long firm paper mould. Repeat with the other seven dough balls. If you don’t have the paper moulds, just arrange the rolls on a baking sheet lined with baking paper.
5. Let rise, lightly covered, until double in size. When ready, pipe the cream cheese topping in a zigzag fashion on top of each risen roll. Then pipe the blueberry jam also in a zigzag fashion in the opposite direction over the cream cheese topping. Finally scatter the crumble topping evenly over each roll.
7. Bake in preheated 190°C oven for about 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
Taste: Soft, fluffy and light buns with delicious cream cheese and blueberry jam topping and crunchy crumble
Consume: Best served warm but also good at room temperature
Storage: May be kept in airtight container for a couple of days at room temperature in cool weather, or up to a week in the refrigerator; re-heat in the oven before serving if chilled to re-crisp the crumble topping
Recipe Reference(s): “香酥蓝莓乳酪面包” recipe from the Chinese cookbook “面包制作精选” by 黎国雄
Matcha Sesame Rolls
As per usual, I used the other half portion of the sweet bun dough to make these Matcha Sesame Rolls 抹茶黑芝麻麵包.