Makes 8 buns
1/2 portion Japanese-Style Sweet Bun Dough
1 egg, lightly beaten for eggwash
Custard Filling and Topping:
300g Crème Pâtissière
1. Prepare the Japanese-Style Sweet Bun Dough as directed up to step 3.
2. Take one of the 8 small divided balls and roll out with a rolling pin into a flat round disc; with edges thinner than the centre. With a small palette (or bread) knife, spread about 25g (scant 1 tablespoon) of the pastry cream onto the centre of the dough disc. Try not to get any pastry cream onto the edges of the dough or it will be very difficult to seal.
3. Gather the outer edges of the dough disc and wrap up the filling. Pinch the edges together to seal in the filling. Place sealed edges down on a lined or lightly greased baking tray. Repeat with the other 7 dough balls.
4. Let rise, lightly covered, until double in size. When ready, eggwash the top of each risen dough pieces.
5. Put the remaining pastry cream into a small freezer/snack bag with a tiny cut at one corner for piping (or use a piping bag fixed with a 1/2cm or smaller round nozzle). Then pipe the pastry cream in a wide spiral on top of each risen dough pieces.
6. Bake in preheated 190°C oven for about 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown.
Taste: Soft, fluffy and light buns with a delicious custardy filling
Consume: Best served warm but also good at room temperature
Storage: Can be kept for up to 2 to 3 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator, re-heat in the oven or microwave before serving
Recipe Reference(s): -