Makes 8 buns
160g firm serikaya
1. Divide the serikaya for filling into 8 equal portions of 20g each, cover and set aside. Put the extra 2 tablespoons serikaya for topping into a small freezer/snack bag with a tiny cut at one corner for piping (or use a piping bag fixed with a 1/2cm or smaller round nozzle).
2. Prepare the Japanese-Style Sweet Bun Dough as directed in Japanese-Style Sweet Bun Dough post up to step 3.
3. Take one of the 8 small divided balls and roll out with a rolling pin into a flat circle; with edges thinner than the centre. Place one portion of the serikaya in the centre of dough circle.
4. Gather the outer edges of the dough circle and wrap up the filling. Pinch the edges together to seal in the filling. Place sealed edges down on a lined or lightly greased baking tray. Repeat with the other 7 dough balls.
5. Let rise, lightly covered, until double in size. When ready, pipe the serikaya for topping in a wide spiral on top of each risen dough pieces. Eggwash if desired.
6. Bake in preheated 190°C oven for about 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown.
Taste: Soft, fluffy and light buns with sweet serikaya filling
Consume: Best served warm but also good at room temperature
Storage: Can be kept for up to 2 to 3 days in airtight container at room temperature or up to 1 week in the refrigerator, re-heat in the oven or microwave before serving
Recipe References: -