After making the Taiwanese Chewy Cubes, I had leftover taro and sweetpotato. So used them up to make this delicious Malaysian snack.
Makes approx. 4 servings
150g purple taro, peeled
150g purple sweetpotato, peeled
150g orange sweetpotato, peeled
1 cup Chewy Taro or Sweetpotato Cubes *
50g palm sugar (gula melaka)
100g white granulated sugar
500ml (2 cups) water
5 pandan leaves, torn & knotted
400ml coconut milk
* The chewy cubes may be substituted with cooked pearl tapioca or sago.
1. Slice the peeled tubers into 1cm thick slices. Cut the slices lengthways into 1cm width strips. Holding the knife at an angle, cut the strips into 1cm diamond-shape cubes.
2. Steam the cubes for 15-20 minutes, or until soft but not mushy. Set aside.
3. Add a pinch of salt to the coconut milk and set aside. Boil the syrup ingredients, except coconut milk, until sugar dissolves. Strain if necessary.
4. Add the coconut milk, the cooked tuber diamonds and the chewy cubes to the syrup. Taste and adjust sweetness, add more coconut milk or water if too sweet. Bring to a gentle simmer. Remove and serve hot or cold.
Taste: Rich, sweet and delicious
Consume: Best served on the same day
Storage: Not suitable
Recipe References: -